Friday, April 15, 2011

Significantly Insignificant - A Random Rant

"...its also weird to think that, it takes insignificance, to make us feel significant" - Nais Dais.

One of my conversations with Dais led to this quote.  I feel that this holds true to us surfers... who constantly feel insignificant in the vast ocean, but feel much more in-tune with the vast energy of the universe, which gives us a presence of mind that is significant.

On numerous occasions, I feel "powerless" or "insignificant" against the power of the Ocean.  But at these same moments of ineptitude and inescapable vulnerability, I feel the strongest.  A true Yin and Yang of sorts.   When I can't escape the Ocean, I feel the most free.  When I feel like a grain of sand in the Ocean, I am bigger than the universe.  When I am out of the water, I feel like drowning on land. 

We as a society strive for "significance" or validation.  We our taught to want things such as material needs, business relationships and a certain fast-paced lifestyle.  Furthermore, the way we interact with people gives us validation that we are significant to someone else, and therefore we are important.  We want to feel needed, important, and significant.  The way we are taught to achieve it by this fast-paced neonanotechnological world, on the other hand, is not the best. 

"You are not important.  You are the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world."  I feel that we try to push and shove to achieve goals that we set for ourselves that are "important" to society's standards.  But are they important for our survival?  No.  They are most likely killing us day by day, bringing us closer to death.  When we reduce ourselves to insignificance, we notice the smaller, finer things in life, such as the plumerias blooming on a tree, or a lizard crawling up the wall of concrete, or the winds shifting and carrying up a bird.  I find these insignificant small plants and animals more significant day by day.

Perhaps I am returning to my childhood, where I watched the water flow down the streets or the birds come to my makeshift bird feeder, made from an orange juice carton and some string.  Whatever it is, I like the feeling of being more in tune with my surroundings, for when I feel my environment is growing around me, I too feel like I am growing.  Therefore, when I feel more insignificant in nature, I feel I can grow with my natural surroundings.

Let's take this to the wave canvas this weekend.  The DRC plan is to go surf all day at San Onofre, and the weather is supposed to be amazing!  I will strive for insignificance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment