Monday, January 21, 2013

Surf In Paradise, Pabs (1964 - 2013)

I got a text from Surfing Grandma that one of our fellow bloggers, Pabs, had past away.  I never met the guy in person, but I felt that I knew him through his blog.  His blog was genuine and always STOKED when he hit the water. 

A few months ago, he felt a POP in his lower left chest area.  The fellow bloggers left him encouraging comments to stay positive, and that injuries will heal. 

Fast forward to a few days ago, and his close friend posts a reply on his blog that he had past away.  I was in shock and couldn't really process the fact that Pabs had passed away.  Is it weird that I feel like I lost a friend, even if I hadn't met him once?  I suppose that is why we surfers call it a "surf community."  No matter where you come from, or no matter what you do besides surf, we are all connected by surf, by Mother Ocean, and by the overall feeling of the STOKE. 

Pabs always wrote about the stoke.  It didn't matter if it was 1 foot or 5 foot.  He surfed the icy cold waters of NorCal all the time, searching for the stoke.  Towards the end of his life, his blog was sparse and not stoked.  But from what I've read, it seems that his stoke filled up a lifetime and a half of anyone's life. 

Surfing Grandma proposed we do a small paddle out for Pabs.  I hope this becomes a reality.  We are a surfing community, and when we lose one of our comrades, it is only fitting to see them out to Sea.  We are all children of the Ocean.  The Ocean does not divide us... She unites us. 

Here's one for you, Pabs!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!
    Yes I think of us as a family... We are all connected.. And I think we are all meant to be.!
    I would love feed back from everyone on doing a paddle out..I never organized one before.. So help is welcomed
    The only word I can use to describe this is heartbroken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heartbroken indeed. i've never even participated in a paddle out. i've only seen them on youtube. i think we just have to gather together with one thing in mind: remembering Pabs. and think about Pabs. and remind ourselves what Pabs would want us to be doing if we all got together: SURF!!

      Delete
  2. We are family. Period. I love all of you dearly. Let's try and do something for Pabs. It will be a good way to send him off. It will also be a good way for some of us to finally put faces to the names we know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea surfsistah! love the idea, and i love you too! we will for sure get some face time in this year. <3

      Delete
  3. Is Feb 9th a good day? ... Its the weekend after Super Bowl and I was thinking Bolsa....????
    Maybe everyone can think of a little something to say and everyone bring a flower or lei to take out and release in the ocean ... I know splashing is involved and maybe we can have a coffee and tea table with donuts or muffins for after ...
    I also think we should bring a ciollage of pictures of Pabs... I may need help being unemployed .... I think my surf club will help also ...
    I guess a time should be be set with the date and lets hope surf and weather cooperate .... At least hoping to be able to paddle outside ..
    What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that will be a great idea! definitely gotta bring some flowers to toss into the Ocean for Pabs. and then we can all surf and hang out (finally) together. a collage would be great. maybe we can steal some photo's from his blog? and you have some pictures too, yes?

      Delete
    2. Yes I do... I will have something put together by the end if this week... I'm talking to a few people and getting organized.looks like the 10th wi be the day.., it's a Sunday...but bummed I think DD can't make that day :-(

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your beautiful post about Pabs. I will join the paddle out. That is a great idea to meet for Pabs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok later today in going to post about the paddle out... After checking tide charts and talking to a few peeps ... I think I got this organized...
    I'm making it Sat. Feb 16 for a few reasons ... One is more than one person was not going to make it in the 10th and 2nd tide I better for a 9:00 am paddle out that day... And third I will have $$ to buy snacks ... And also it gives enough people time to plan... I will do a blog post later with specs and also try to do an event on FB :-).... Now let's hope weather cooperates

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. This morning while I was surfing I was a little bummed about the surf, and then I thought of Pabs. I am looking forward to meeting our fellow surf bloggers during the paddle out.

    ReplyDelete