Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Back to Writing in My Blog 110712



Surf Report: 2-3+ feet
Water: Cool
Winds: Slight on shore
Atmosphere: Kloudy

Yesterday was a historical day of sorts.  President Obama was re-elected as our 44th President.  Proposition 30 passed thankfully.  Denver legalized marijuana.  And I took my Audit exam for the CPA for the third time.  Last time I took this exam was on August 28th.  I was semi-confident about getting the passing score on this curved exam, but I found out on September 11th that I didn’t pass.  I was devastated.  I moped around for about a week, trying to figure out why and what I did wrong.  I felt that I let a lot of people down by FAILING.  I stopped saying to myself that I FAILED and rather that I “DIDN’T PASS.” 

So, I went back into hardcore studying mode.  But this time around, I made sure to change all my study habits.  I stopped doing so many practice exams, and focused on my outlines I made of my weaknesses.  I tried to keep in touch with my close friends.  I surfed and swam as much as I possibly could.  I also picked up a ukulele and started playing that every day to ease my mind.  I tried to not pressure myself into not failing, but focused on passing.  I played images in my mind, over and over, that I got the score, and how elated I would be when I see that online page that says that I passed. 

And so, I felt really fucking good about this test.  There were only a few questions that I didn’t know the answer to completely… but that’s fine.  It’s a hard exam.  It’s supposed to be a hard exam.  I did my best.  And I know I passed. 

Instead of going out for a celebratory drink, I skated with some friends, and went home.  I watched the election results while having a beer and talking to my folks.  I am a registered Republican, but I voted for Obama and Biden.  Screw Romney and his whole team.  Their policies make absolutely no sense to a guy who has a tax background.  I was very happy that Obama got re-elected, and his speech at the end sent chills down my spine. 

And I went to sleep, feeling high and giddy at the possibility of good surf in the morning before work…

I woke up at 530, and got myself together and out the door by 610.  The day was already bright but with a cloudy grey shining on the quiet Los Angeles pavement.  I took the freeway, where I almost hit a car who blind-sighted me going 75 mph, while I was going 65.  He honked at me, stared me down, and took off on the 105E.  He must be in a rush, I thought.  I was thankful that there was no accident. 

I pass by Rosecrans, and the line up is already packed.  What.  The.  Fuck.  Everyone must have read the report that today will be a semi-decent day for surf. 

I get to 26th Street, and there is no parking.  I had to park up the hill.  Turns out that both surf teams from the local high schools were out this morning, so the line up was nut to butt crowded.  I managed to catch two quick waves in between the crowd of groms.  Although these groms may overpower in numbers, I sneak in between them and catch my waves.  I see Roy immediately and say hi to him.  We chit-chat about life, and hope that 730 rolls around soon, since that is when the groms have to leave the beach to go to school. 

One of my first waves was a right where I pumped down the line and hit the top of the lip softly.  A left rolled through and I was able to bottom turn up the lip, and snapped the board back on to the oncoming white water section.  I didn’t stick the turn, but I felt the board swing under my feet with all the G-forces and so that felt good.  Thank you carver skateboard sessions!

There weren’t too many outstanding waves today.  I guess I was just happy to be surfing on a work day.  The conditions deteriorated quickly as the minutes ticked by, and I caught a small right where I did a floater and landed it.  Waves started to suck up on the shore, and I took a mean wipe out on a left. 

I said my good-bye to Roy, and headed back to my car.  While I changed, Toru, another local, stopped by to say hi.  He is a banker in the South Bay, and was asking how my CPA test went.  He also mentioned how he could offer a job at his bank if I was interested, since my out-going personality might make me bored as a CPA.  I thanked him for the offer and told him that we will see what unfolds.  Not that I wanted to brush his offer away, but rather that I have a task at hand for now, and a boss that I love to work for, so I can’t just switch occupations.  I always like to have options, so I don’t want to close any doors, but now is not the time to be switching occupations. 

I never thought I would be a CPA until I started working at this firm.  I fell into this job through the people I knew from my previous job as a real estate leasing agent.  I always thought I would be a real estate tycoon.  I worked at a real estate firm for six years before quitting, and then BAM, I’m trying to be a CPA.  If there is one fact that is assured in life, it is that one is unsure about what will happen next.  We will never know for sure what will happen next.  And even if we did, why would I want to know?  Life would be so boring and predictable by knowing what happens next. 

Things just tend to happen and fall into place.   So, I will keep Toru’s offer in mind, but for the time being, I need to focus on the task at hand.  And for now, the task is to catch up with my friends that I haven’t seen in a while, surf, coach, play my uke, and relax for a while… and always keep a smile on my face!

Mahalos Mother Ocean!! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the good waves and much luck to you for your "3rd times a charm" CPA test results...what I found amazingly stupid about the Romney campaign was the total arrogance of inevitability feeling it exuded, to the extent of ignoring the facts on the ground. The guy deserved to lose the way he lost...with embarrassment and shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks pabs!! yes, Romney campaign was totally arrogant, and flawed from the get-go by not siding with the middle class. the classy thing to do would be to accept loss in graciousness, instead of pointing fingers at scapegoats

      Delete