Monday, November 26, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving 112212 - 26th Street

-->
Surf Report: 3-5 feet
Water: Cold
Winds: Off shore
Atmosphere: Grey and foggy

Happy Thanksgiving!  Today was CROWDED.  It was foggy.  It was frustrating.  And I’m glad everyone came out that could. 

A small disclosure:  Matt was going to HB this day with his brother Randy.  I told Matt to come down to 26th Street instead, but he had to concede to his brother.  After all, Randy was in town from half way around the world. 

My dad came out to photograph today.  He hurt his back a few Saturdays ago, and so I cooked pasta for dinner.  It was so good, he wanted seconds, but he couldn’t get up from the floor.  So, I said I’ll get him another plate, but only if he came out to photograph my friends and me.  He obliged, and I got him his second serving of pasta.  

The dawn patrol crew was out, and the parking lot was getting full already.  Khang’s car was already parked and Hideki was already in the water too.  Chris and Sunny were in the lot, waiting for their friend from work to come too.  I was expecting the crowds, since it was Thanksgiving, and there was swell.  The first real swell of the winter!  However the fog was so thick, it was hard to see the line up, even from shore. 

My dad set up his camera and I paddled out to my normal spot.  I actually was able to read the channel perfectly and caught the rip going out.  It felt like a smooth conveyor belt and I was able to make it out to the line up quite easily.  I was on my single fin, so the duck dives were a little tough because she is nearly 3 inches thick. 

I spotted the regulars at 26th Street and wished them all a Happy Thanksgiving.  Khang and Hideki were there, and so was Tom Yamamoto.  Chris and Sunny came out eventually too. 

Today had waves of consequences.  There were a lot of close outs, but there were some shoulders to work with.  The only problem was that the real take off zone was right on the peak, which would throw over.  And then the shoulders would build and be rideable. 

Ross was absolutely killing it today.  His back hand snaps were just flying every which way, and he was riding every good wave that came through.  He must have caught three waves in a span of fifteen minutes, each with mean back side snaps to match. 

Hideki caught two good lefts right off the bat.  He took off on the shoulder for his first wave and made it down the line.  It was probably the best wave I’ve ever seen him catch.  He is improving really quick.  The only bummer was that my dad didn’t catch that ride of him. 

Chris was getting a lot of rights and lefts.  He seemed to get caught behind the section on a few of them, but his backside is improving a lot.  When I first met him, he was saying that he “didn’t know how to go right.”  I think he was just lying to me so he could paddle under me and go right.

Sunny and I shared some waves.  It’s a nice way to say he snaked me.  Hahaha

Tom was actually doing really well in today’s conditions.  He was going both right and left, and making it look easy from behind.  He would punch out the back if the waves got too crazy, or kick out smoothly. 

The rising tide made the waves harder to read as the time ticked by. 

Khang was going for the bombs as usual, but I felt that the bombs were closed out.  Well, he is sure pushing the limits of the comfort zone.  Some of those waves were just plain scary for me. 

I had a lot of take offs where the board just slid out as I stood up.  Maybe the fin should have been placed back further.  But I definitely felt the board slide out on my take offs and I would just barely manage the drop and eat it at the bottom. Even if I made the wave, I would have difficulty driving up the wave face with my single fin.  I found myself growing frustrated with my equipment choice for the day. 

I had a wipe out that was a session changer.  I had the peak to myself, and I saw Hideki paddling on the shoulder.  I paddled for the wave, and popped up.  I felt the board stall and slip from under me.  The wave lip threw over, and my body was free-falling in the air.  My board flipped around and I landed on the rail of my board on the way down.  I hit the part of my right shoulder blade that connects to my spine.  Then, I got dragged down with the wave and tumbled into a sea of darkness.  I hit bottom, and waited for the wave to let me go.  I came up in serious pain.  I grabbed my board, and started to paddle.  It was hard to lift my right arm up.  I paddled back out to the line up in pain.  I could feel the shoulder stiffening up, so I started to paddle around just to get the blood flowing.  The first paddle with my right shoulder hurt, but as I continued to paddle it hurt less. 

I had to change board.  I couldn’t paddle into the waves with my single fin today.  I grabbed my keys from my dad and headed to change boards.  I grabbed my 6’5” board that Roy gave me last year. 

The waves started to shut down.  Christina showed up, and was taking her time stretching on the sand.  She was chatting with my dad about her recent trip to Boston. 

The waves slowed, but the consequences didn’t let up.  The take off zone was still dangerous, and it was getting even more hollow as the tide lowered. 

Khang took this one wave while I was in the shore pound.  He took off, and the inside section doubled up, and created a step.  He hopped off the chop and made it safely to the bottom of the wave.  If he hadn’t done that, he would have eaten shit badly. 

The lulls became long, and there seemed to be more and more people out. 

Khang paddled in, and I took my last wave.  My last wave was the wave of the day.  I paddled hard for it, popped up, and started to pump.  However, there was a bump on the face that threw me off balance, and I had to catch myself from falling.  By the time I was able to rebalance, the wave was ending.  Not only that, but there was an insider that doubled up on me, and it created a step, just like Khang’s wave.  I bailed my board, and that was the end of my session.  I blew the wave of the day. 

Oh well, at least I could still lift up both my arms.

My dad and I got home, and I started to make the creamed corn.  He was looking at the photo’s he took, and was grunting in distaste.

“This one’s blurry.  This one sucks.  Where am I pointing the lens?  The lighting sucks on this one,” he mumbled to himself.

“I’m coming out again this weekend,” he told me in the kitchen, as he stirred the cream and milk.  “I’m not happy with the photo’s I took.”

Hell fucking yea!  I was glad he’s a perfectionist too.  He wants a quality output, and he wants to do it right.  I said to come out Saturday, since that’s when all of us should be out again. 

We had a nice Thanksgiving feast that day.  It was a lot of fun being with the family.  Everyone cooks a dish and brings it to the house.  Except my sister.  She dropped the yams this morning, so my mom had to buy it from Ralphs.  I paced myself eating the whole day, starting off with lots of veggies, then pigging out on the delicious turkey, and finally moving to dessert.  Then I had to go to my friend Sasha’s house for another feast.  His mom is an amazing chef, and prepared everything from scratch, from the bread, to the cranberry sauce, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she killed the turkey herself. 

Mahalos Mother Ocean!! I am always so thankful that you are there for us and never ask for anything in return.  We can all learn from how much you give and give and give.  Thank you for being the love of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment