Saturday, January 3, 2015

KKs Vacay - A Different Kine Hawaii Shelling at Sandy's 123114

Surf Report: Flat
Winds: Howling trade winds
Atmosphere: Cloudy
Water: Warm

Da Dojo Boys apparently came home at 500 AM and raged on until the early morning. By the time I awoke, most of them had to go to work. New Years Eve Eve has been another successful night of debauchery!

Maya is being kicked out of the Dojo. She is trying to get sympathy from us, but she has overstayed her welcome. She started bringing random guys to the Dojo, treating Alex's room as her own, and not really respecting the rules of the Dojo. She ate cookies in the bedroom, laying her dirty ass underwear everywhere, and never cleaned.

"Are you the one that's going to be staying in Alex's room?" she asks me.

"Yea, that's me."

"He's kicking me out by January 1st... I don't have a place to stay, really..."

"Thank you," I tell her politely. She scrunches her face as if to say, "Why you gotta ruin my living situation?" Naw girl, you did that to yourself.

Francis invites me to go shelling at Sandy's. He picks me up from the Dojo and we go to his house. Nicole, Francis and I sit down and have beers and high balls (Canadian Dry and whiskey.) We talk for a while, enjoying the good weather, playing with the house dog, Cloud, and looking at the bonsai trees.

We head to Sandy's, a mere ten minutes away from where they live. Francis and I put our snorkel masks and fins on, and start diving for shells. We can hear the shells and rocks dance with each other under water. It's a symphony of tiny sounds all in harmony with each other.

We dive, stay under water as long as possible, and then come up with some small treasures. Sometimes, the current takes you back and forth so much that you lose track of where you spotted a piece of shell. Francis anchors his muscular arms into the sand and holds his position. I go with the flow and adjust my body to the current. The shells are in piles on the bottom, but to find a pristine one that isn't cracked or has a good color to it is hard. It is highly addicting to hold your breath for so long and then seeing a shell, reach for it while the current sways you back and forth, and then have a cloud of sand just burst up from no where and make visibility terrible. You feel like you have one last chance to get the shell, but you're out of breath, so you go back up to the surface.

We have our post Sandy's meal at Asuka's. It is a hot pot spot that is BYOB. The cold weather has been very un-Hawaii, but then again, I consider myself spoiled to call it cold during the freezing temperatures in Los Angeles. I get the dango plate, with extra dumplings. I finish the whole thing off and drink the soup. Our bellies are full with wine and warm goodness.



We get to Francis's house, and I knock out on the couch. I knock out before 1000 PM, so I missed New York's ball drop, Los Angeles, and even Hawaii's count down. I must have been very, very tired....

Mahalos Mother Ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment