Monday, July 13, 2015

At the Mercy of Mother Ocean 070515

Surf Report: 1-2 feet and blown out
Water: Who knows?
Atmosphere: Gloomy
Winds: Blowing the shit out of the waves

"If yesterday wasn't so fun, I would be surfing today," Vietnam Vet Mike said, with a wry smile.

"You're right. Yesterday was soooo fun! Today just looks sad," I replied.

The waves were just not cooperating at all. It looked like every other day in June where it was so dismal and junky.

This was a day for the desperate, the few who didn't score yesterday, the dry pieces of jerky who wished they surfed.

I watched the waves for a whole two hours and called it a day. I headed home at 945 AM.

Matt had told me that Bri and him had packed up early and headed back to 26th Street. They watched it from the hill for a while, and called a lay day too.

Cheryl's birthday is today, and the World Cup for Women's soccer was going on too. I had promised to spend time with my mom and dad, and then hand with Cheryl and company. I watched the USA womens team beat down on Japan in the first 16 minutes. In true samurai spirit though, the Japanese Women never gave up! They gave it their all until the bitter end, and held their heads up high, even if tears were rolling down some of their cheeks.

I headed to Cheryl's place and we all played board games for a good while. Silverton and I made sure that Jenga was played the correct way: by burning it to the ground in the first few moves. We were the first ones to take out the two bottom pieces and watch the tower topple over.
The Handsome Pull Out Artist

I wasn't mad I didn't get to surf today. I wasn't mad that Japan lost in such dismal fashion. In fact, I enjoyed my whole day being able to spend time with family and friends. Sometimes, you don't have to surf to have a good Sunday.

Mahalos Mother Ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment