Sunday, November 2, 2014

Carlsbad? Carlsgood 102114 Part III

Surf: 3-4 feet
Water: Warm
Atmosphere: Beautiful sunset
Winds: Onshore

The sun is coming down fast, and we decide to paddle out for one last session. I am destined to redeem myself from the noon session, so I am stoked to be paddling out one last time before we leave.

The winds tapered down a bit, and there was better shape. The water was still warm, and the vibe was still good.

We start out by the stairs. I see Pat catch a wave and attack the lip.

I try to match by attempting to hit the lip. Instead, the lip hits me and I'm sent down over the falls.

Pat does a backhand cutback, and rebounds off the water.

I try to hit the lip again on a right, and get smacked in the stomach.

"Hit the lip!! Not the other way around!" says Pat.

"I'm trying! I just don't have the timing," I yell back at him.

I have to attack the lip better...

I see DD get a nice right in the distance. I hoot him. And then I think, "Why am I so far away from him?"

Then I realize I have drifted way far.

I try to paddle back, but the current is whisking me away like flour in a cake bowl. So, I just sit where I am and go for my last wave.

I see Pat pull in to a close out and disappear under the curtain, and then engulfed completely. He emerges, grabs his board, and belly rides in.

Next one, KK. Next one.

I take off on a right, and get my first pump in before it closes out. Well, at least you got that in!

Back at camp, a fire is getting started. Pizzas have been delivered by the guys who went off to Blacks earlier. More beers are being passed around.

Matt and I agree to leave now, and say our farewells to everyone. On our way out, I look at my phone for the first time. Twenty something e-mails and twenty something texts. And one Voxer!! It's from Fransauce.

"Klaude, been reading your blog. I'm living vicariously through you. Hope you're surfing lots and miss you guys!"

We send him a bromantic response together. It was just perfect.

We head to San Clemente and grab some Taco Tuesday and watch the Laker game as everyone is fixated on the Giants vs Royals game. We cheer and oohh and awww at the TV in our own little booth.

On the way home, I get a call from Don't Respond. I renamed E this because I didn't want to respond to her anymore. She leaves a voicemail.

Matt and I are talking to the radio the whole way home, listening to the Laker game.

We get home to his house, and Bri welcomes with a huge. I ask her if she would like to listen to the voicemail E sent me, and perhaps I can get some feminine insight. She agrees to listen:
 
"Klaude, it's me Elyce, hope you're doing well. I sent you a couple texts yesterday, and I don't know if you got them, but I'm giving you a call to see how you were because I haven't talked to you in a while... and wanted to see how life's been treating you and what you've been up to. Maybe we can paint sometime soon? Give me a call or text me, whenever you get a chance to... if you will like to. Take care, bye."

"This is just like my sister, Klaude, and she's crazy," Bri says. "She obviously misses you and is desperate to see you."

"Well, that's not gonna happen," I say.

I give them both a big hug and say good night.

I drive home from the exhaustion of the whole day. What a fun day... but that voicemail. Kinda dampers the sweet end to the day.

Well, deal with it tomorrow, KK. For now...

Mahalos Mother Ocean!!

No comments:

Post a Comment