Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Veterans Day Anger 111114

Surf Report: 2-3 feet
Atmosphere: Cloudy
Water: Cool
Winds: Minimal

I've been dealing with parental stress from the kids I coach. I didn't want to get involved with their bickering, but they wanted me to, so I dealt with it the way I knew how: talking it out and bringing it out into the open. We had a parent meeting, with me leading it. The parents talked over what has been going on between the volunteering of Parent Representatives, and how they needed to switch out the Parent Reps, since the same Parent Reps have been volunteering for over two years now. Two parents volunteered. I brought up one of our kids showing up to practice late because he has joined a club team, and how I wouldn't feel it is fair to have him play starters' minutes, regardless of skill level. The parents didn't say anything, except that maybe he can come late to every other practice instead of missing every practice. However, the parent of said child wasn't present to hear this, so it was up to me to communicate it. Furthermore, I explained how the social aspect of the team is vital - playing basketball on the court is only a minute portion of the team spending time together. The post-game tag that they all play, the team dinners, the ice cream get together, the possible Disneyland trip, are all part of what makes our team so special. We reiterated how much time off the court is important as on the court. We also discussed how there should be monthly meetings like this to discuss what's been going on at meetings and to essentially clear the air. A ho'oponopono, as the Hawaiians called it.

I put what we discussed into a pdf, and sent it out to the team. I ruffled some feathers, naturally, and had been getting e-mails after e-mails after e-mails.

Some are in support of me. Others are firing back at other parents. And others respond late in saying, "You shouldn't put that in the e-mail, even though we talked about it at the meeting."

My boy B-sauce is also in town for his cousin's wedding. Since he is on vacation, I am on "vacation" too. Whenever I am in Hawaii, he takes time to hang out with me and parties it up. So, when he is in town, I do the same. I've been staying up late with him, getting tacos, playing dominoes, ping pong, or whatever.

In essence, the highs and lows continue.

I stayed up till 200 AM last night, thinking about what all the parents were saying in their e-mails. I just wanted to coach, and then had to get involved with the parents, and now, the parents are all rambling on about what needs to get done. I need to surf, but shit, it's Veterans Day, and I have to be on it early or else the crowd will be on it. Plus, I still have to go to work.

When I awake, it was already 700 AM. I do my morning routine, and head out to my local spot. Before I leave, Mel asks how I am, and I vent out what's been going on. She reassures me that I am doing the right thing, and that parents take things too personally. I said what had to be said, what everyone was thinking, and now parents are going into their own passive aggressiveness.

"Just tell them what needs to be said," she said. "You're doing the right thing, KK."

Once I arrive, the parking lot is packed. Of course it is.

I paddle out, with an angry atmosphere about me.

I see Matt and Bri, and smile. However, I quickly turn my smile into a scowl. They ask me how I am doing. I vent out my anger.

In between my venting, I paddle for waves. I get snaked by a blue long boarder who sees  me, but still drops in on me. I fucking shake my head as I paddle back out.

It's not that big today, just too crowded. I take out my anger on the Ocean. I paddle like I'm angry at the Ocean, and the Ocean receives my anger. She lets me splash around and do my venting with my body.

No notable rides today... just blowing off the steam.

By the end of the session, I had enough. The waves helped out a lot. I felt a bit more calm and level headed. I felt like a better person. I felt less angry. I felt like I was ready to take on the days events, however bad they may be.

Mahalos Mother Ocean!!

No comments:

Post a Comment